Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tomato Soup

This post is for my friend, Diane, who has a great blog over at Tomato Soup Cake. I wanted to share my recipe for home-canned tomato soup.



Tomato Soup (Home-canned)
The one Mom made, recipe from her friend, Mary Jane Thomas

4 quarts fresh tomatoes (approximately 7 pounds)
1 cup celery, chopped
3 medium onions, chopped
1 hot pepper, minced
¼ cup canning salt
1 cup sugar
Dash garlic salt
¼ pound butter

Scald, peel and quarter tomatoes. Cook tomatoes, celery, onion and pepper until soft. Place mixture in blender until mostly smooth. Place in stockpot. Add salt, sugar, garlic salt and butter. Bring to a boil. Make thickening of flour and water. Thicken soup and stir constantly. Place in hot jars. (The recipe ends here but I hot water bath them, as well, to be safe.)

Add milk to thin when ready to serve.

Pair this with toasted cheese sandwiches on home-made bread on a cold winter afternoon and you'll be warmed through and through. I'm hungry just thinking about it.!

5 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

Oh girl! I am so trying this recipe!! It looks simply amazing... thanks you ever so much for taking the time to share it~☺~

And I was just over at Valerie's and read her wonderful news! I am just so excited... wow, one week and she'll be in the US of A! You all must just be so tickled!

Diane Shiffer said...

Oooops, a coupla questions if you don't mind; firstly, is that a pint jar you're using? and secondly, what approximate quantity of flour do you use for thickening?

ok.. think that's really all now;-)

Kristine said...

We are beyond excited at Valerie's homecoming, Diane! I'm so envious of my daughter, who will get to spend so much time with her.

LOL, yes, that's a pint jar. I have big hands but not that bigs! For just the two of us a pint works really well. Once we add some milk when we heat it up it's just right for two bowls. You might find it works out better in a quart jar for your family.

I wish I had a precise answer about the amount of flour/water mixture to add. My current batch was 2.5x the recipe, and I just mix some up (as if I were making gravy), stir it in, if I'm not happy with it, I mix some more and stir it in. It's more about your preference than getting it to a certain thickness. I don't make mine as thick as my mom did.

Hope my poor excuse for an answer helps a little. :)

Kristine said...

Ok, Diane, here's more info...

I did not add the butter this time and we can't figure out why we ever needed it. The soup is fabulous. I also used about 1 cup of flour to two gallons of the soup. I did it half a cup at a time with enough water to make it easy to stir in without lumps. This may be our best batch yet!

Red Hen said...

I am so trying this!! Thank you for sharing!