Friday, September 3, 2010

Enough with the Tomatoes Already!

Ok, I'm not promising but I think this is the last tomato post. For now, at least. The picture that accompanies the recipe for the tomato soup is a previous year's jar. Here are this year's jars of soup - don't they have a great tomato color?


And can you see that some of my lids are different looking? That's because I'm testing a dozen Tattler Reusable Lids with this batch of soup. These are plastic disks and rubber rings that you use with regular bands. They are, according to the company and the box, "Indefinitely reusable". But they are definitely priced higher than my usual Ball or Kerr one-time use lids. I've heard great things about them and it appears that I followed the directions correctly because they all sealed. I'll have to weigh the benefits against the cost. I do a lot of canning and that initial outlay could be painful.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

A great tomato colour?
As opposed to the eggplant colour they might have come out with?

:-)
(yes, I know what you mean - they kept their vibrant red beautiful through all the heating and sealing).