Saturday, July 23, 2011

Let's Walk Down to the Garden

I think it's been awhile since you've visited...

An open gate can only mean one thing. We are tempting cows to munch on our produce. Their current paddock includes this side of the garden fence. We'd better get inside and close it.


Look at those tomato beds! It's going to get tough to tie them up when they get taller than their stakes.


And they do need support - look how tomato rich these plants are. I'm going to be canning lots of wonderful vine ripe maters for the winter.


But first I'm going to eat my fill of fresh picked!


Hmmmm. This one's got to weigh at least a pound. It's called a Lemon Boy. Maybe it's already ripe and won't be turning red. I'd better look that one up.


And the onions are pushing up through the dirt. I'm looking forward to pulling one out and using it to make dinner.


Let's wave to Kent, he's over their hoeing between the corn.


The squash beds are finally taking off. I'm pretty excited about these since they are all planted from seed... zucchini, yellow, Hubbard, pumpkin, spaghetti and butternut. We're hoping to have plenty winter squash for the root cellar.


But for now the challenge will be keeping up with the summer squash. This 5-inch zucchini was only 1 1/2 inches two days ago.


The cucumber plants were slow to start but they are looking healthy now.


And peek under the leaves at all those blooms. That's why you're hearing all the bees buzzing.


And the basil I'd all but given up on has decided to join us.


We're already eating radishes. In fact, I should plant another round to keep the tasty goodness coming in all summer!


I've never grown eggplant - it's so exciting to see them coming on. Isn't it cute?


The cantaloupe are blooming, too. I'm glad the garden is keeping the bees busy.


But it isn't just blooming, it's got little, tiny cantaloupes. Yay!


I love the patterns of these leaves. They just get denser and denser. And if you look around underneath, you'll find a bunch of


Baby watermelons! Double yay!! I loves me some watermelon. And they look just like the real thing. I mean, Barbie could come pick one of these for a picnic with Ken.


Oh, and more of those seed to success stories... the peas and beans are growing great guns. In fact, the beans are threatening to block the path. That's a two-food walkway they are crowding in on.


But since they are busy putting on these little bits of tastiness, we'll let them.


And snap peas - well, they're what's for dinner.


The hot peppers are doing great. In fact, we've decided that we should probably get them picked and do something with them in the next 24-48 hours. And they'll probably just start producing more peppers.


Love the different shades they turn.


The sweet pepper bed is ramping up production, too. At last count there are over 75 peppers growing in there. I'm planning to let at least 2/3 of them turn red, orange and yellow. I'll be drying them and adding taste and color to dishes all winter long. That's, of course, after I've had my fill of fresh.


This guy's nearly ready to go.


The potatoes and corn seem to be doing well, too. We've run out of dirt to bank around the ever growing potatoes and have begun using hay and mulch. As long as they keep growing, we'll keep burying.


Well, that's pretty much the garden from front to back. The only things we missed were the lettuces, arugula, cilantro, beets, carrots, dill, kale, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage... and. Uh. Yeah. I think that's it.


I don't know what time it is, but it's getting mighty warm to be wandering around.


And I don't know about you but I think I picked up a little dirt along the way.


Thanks for taking the time to look at my garden. It's one of my favorite places to be.

No comments: