Monday, August 16, 2010

It's Hard to Say Goodbye

Wednesday, August 11th - After a nice breakfast together, several “final” walk-throughs to check for belongings and not a few tears, we drove away at 8:00 am. I’m so glad I didn’t have to drive first since it would have been hard to see through my tears. I’ve never left Stephanie anywhere that I didn’t know I’d see her again in a week or so. It was harder than I thought and yet I believe that God has exciting plans for both of us. I kept that in mind as I prayed and gave my breaking heart over to God’s care. The drive was uneventful, which is always a good thing. Kent got us to I-90 where we stopped for gas and a coffee. I decided that driving would be therapeutic for me and so I did the first leg, getting us around Cleveland and across Ohio and part of Indiana. Kent took over and drove from the east of Chicago through to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. We’d made it much further than we expected to. The traveling was much faster without the frequent gas stops for the moving van and walking the pup. We saw the evidence of the rains and flooding near Cedar Rapids. Fields underwater, small trees with only their tops showing, and boiling, muddied water flowing from one field to another. It was sobering even after the worst of the danger was over. We learned that a young girl had died when the car she was in had been swept off the road. And against that backdrop of sadness, we entered a town abuzz with excitement, too. Cedar Rapids is the location of the Iowa State fair which was due to begin the next day. We were glad that we found a room at the first hotel we stopped at. The town was certainly loaded with people from far and wide. We carried our bags to our room and found a Bennigan’s across the street for our dinner. And the hotel had wireless internet so I checked my email (229) and deleted the majority of them. I also checked Valerie and Diane’s blogs. It was good to catch up with my online friends as well.

As we were loading the car I couldn't help but take a few last pictures of the natural beauty. Here there was a morning mist that hung heavy over trees and fields...

And I spied these morning glories twined around a small tree near the garage. There were many blooms yet to open. I couldn't help but compare them to my pathetic potted versions I'm trying to grow in Colorado.

Don't know what these are, most likely toxic, but a pretty splash of color. They were growing right next to the morning glories.

No comments: