Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign...

Maybe you've noticed the labels on items in my kitchen. Let me share with you one of the most helpful things I have learned to do...

I label almost everything! Being a perfectionist sort, that could be a daunting task. But I'm also practical and it needs to be fast, easy, and effective. Something I can do on the fly without interrupting my work.




Here is my solution to mystery food. How old is that whey? I know it's supposed to last for a month... When did I skim that cream?... What day did I put that kombucha aside to brew? No more guessing as long as my two best kitchen friends are there to help me. Meet Sharpie and the Freezer Tape. I prefer the Sharpie with two point sizes in one. That way I can clearly mark, for example, KOMBUCHA boldly and then the finer point allows me to ramble on about the day I put it aside and the date I believe it should be ready. And freezer tape because it sticks great but never leaves a residue when I remove it.


I also like to mark any leftovers with the date. And so that Kent can more easily find his lunch items at 2:00 am, I clearly mark them and put them on the front of the fridge shelf so he doesn't miss something important.

There you have it - One of my best kitchen tips!

No comments: