Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ahoy Mateys, Let me tell you about my Big Adventure Day

I did something today that I've never done before. Kent took me to Cherry Creek State Park to the marina to go sailing! The park is 4,200 acres with an 850 acre lake.


What a colorful sail


I was so impressed with how smooth and skilled Kent was. He made it a most pleasurable and exciting experience. He said it's been 30-35 years since he last sailed but you'd never have known it. I was proud that my husband could walk right in the office and take and pass the marina's test to be permitted to rent the boat. And then, with my completely unskilled help, sail us around the bouys, out of the marina and navigate the lake like he does it every day.

Kent did the hard parts but I got to help. I adjusted the jib sail under his direction. When we caught the wind nicely we really sped along. As we would change direction, I would let go of the rope I held to keep the sail taut and move to the other side of the boat to get a different rope and hold it tight in the new position. And if we were tilting a lot with the wind so that the edge of the boat was skimming the water, it was also my job to hook my feet under a strap that ran the length of the inside bottom of the boat, sit on the edge, and lean back while holding onto my jib sail rope.


I was looking forward to it since sailing was such a part of Kent's life when he was growing up. I never expected I would like it SO MUCH. I was enjoying it so much I didn't have time to be worried about the water. And I had a life vest strapped on quite securely. You know me, Safety Girl. I had a great time and I look forward to us going sailing again. We went nearly across the lake and then he sailed us right back to our slip. Well, turns out it was the slip next to our slip. They all looked pretty much alike.


And here's a picture of the kind of boat we were in - it was a 14' Capri. I'm thinking I could become a real sailor girl with a little encouragement.

No comments: