Saturday, December 12, 2009

Heavy Metal

So what have I been doing with my time? Why aren't there any groovy pictures on my blog? I can assure you that it isn't because I've been sitting around playing on my laptop. Kent and I have been working in his shop. He got an order for 70,000 parts and the only way to get them done is to work together. Even though it isn't exciting stuff, bending and boxing parts all day, I sure enjoy the company of my best friend. We work so well together and even boring things are pleasant when we work as a team. Now he is off to work his three long days at Purina and Stephanie has come to help in hopes of wrapping this up by Monday. I look forward to working with her, as well. She has done these parts in the past to earn money between jobs and help Kent out. She hadn't been in the shop for more than five minutes when I learned something from her. She can load parts trays faster than Kent or I. Now I'm worried about keeping up with the bending. I'm still the fastest bender with the least jams. And only Kent can cut the pieces on the punch press. So we have jobs at which we can be most effective. But I think Steph and I will try and switch jobs from time to time just so we aren't in the same position all day. Working at top speed without problems we can put out about 1,750 parts an hour. We've got half the order delivered and another 8,500 parts undelivered from today, so Steph and I are going to challenge ourselves to get at least 15,000 done tomorrow. Then maybe we'll only have to work a half day on Sunday.

Instead of feeling put out that this has interrupted our advent and holiday preparations, I have chosen to be grateful for God's provision in giving us income and some extra to share with Steph. (Thanks for letting me vent the other morning Val.)

God is good! Now if I could just get back to sleep for an hour or two... I've been awake since 3:00 am.

No comments: